Order a copy certificate
To apply for your copy certificate, the birth, death, marriage or civil partnership must have taken place in Northumberland between 1837 and the present day. You will need to pay the correct fee and provide us with the following information:
- Name of church, chapel, register office, or licensed venue
- Date of wedding
- Name of both the parties married
- Where and when the birth took place
- Full name of person
- Supporting information, e.g. parents’ names, to identify entries with the same surname
- Name of the deceased
- Date of death
- Place of death
- Name of both of the partners
- Date of partnership
- Where the civil partnership ceremony took place
How to apply
If you have all the information we require, you can order a copy certificate in the following ways:
Online: Click here
By phone: just call 0345 600 6400 and make sure you have a credit/debit card handy.
In person: at County Hall, Morpeth, NE61 2EF, where you can complete the application form and pay the relevant fee.
By post: complete the relevant application form (see below) and return it, enclosing a stamped and addressed envelope and a cheque or postal order made payable to ‘Northumberland County Council.’
Please post any application forms and cheques or postal orders to:
Click on the links below to download the application forms.
- Birth certificate application form
- Death certificate application form
- Marriage certificate application form
- Civil partnership certificate application form
Fees and timescales
You will find all fees and timescales below. The current fee per certificate is:
- £11 (standard service – to be collected from County Hall or any main Register Office) Customer will be informed by telephone when the certificate is ready
- £11 (standard service – to be posted)
- £35 (priority service – to be posted first class or collected from County Hall, Morpeth or any main Register Office)
- Standard service (UK) – orders are processed within five working days and posted second class or collected from County Hall, Morpeth or any main Register Office. Customer will be notified by telephone when the certificate is ready for collection.
- Priority service (UK) – orders are processed within 24 hours of order receipt (Monday – Friday) and posted first class or collected from County Hall or any main Register Office. Customer will be informed by telephone when certificate is ready for collection.
- Requests from outside the UK – please allow 28 days for delivery
How to pay:
Online: when you apply for your certificate.
Telephone: 0345 600 6400 using a credit or debit card.
In person: at County Hall, Morpeth, NE61 2EF.
By post: send a cheque payable to ‘Northumberland County Council’ to County Hall, Morpeth, NE61 2EF.
For applications from abroad, payments should be in pound sterling by a cheque drawn with a UK address, accompanied by international reply-paid coupons.
Collection points for certificates:
- County Hall, Morpeth, NE61 2EF
- Register Office, Hexham House, Gilesgate, Hexham, NE46 3NH
- Register Office, The Library Building, Walkergate, Berwick-upon-Tweed, TD15 1ED
- Register Office, 27 Fenkle Street, Alnwick, NE66 1HW
Help to locate a record:
If the entry is not held at our Register Office, we will try to advise on the district that may hold the entry.
Some marriage registers used by the Church of England or other places of worship may not be completed and will therefore remain at the church. In these cases, we can supply the name and address of the person who holds the marriage entry.
Please make sure that the birth, death, marriage or civil partnership you are researching took place in Northumberland since 1837.
Further information on history searches can be found on Northumberland County Council Mail website. Click here